Re: What is PERL? Learn JAVA instead? (fwd)

From: [email protected] (Michael J Gebis)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: Re: What is PERL? Learn JAVA instead?
Date: 4 Mar 1998 18:59:29 GMT

Brian Slone <[email protected]> writes:

}I really don't know crap about PERL. How is it different from JAVA?
}Which one is better?
}What can I use it for?

I can understand your confusion: "Java" was the code name for Perl
4.036, way back in the early 70's[1].  Unfortunately, "Ja Va" means
"Yes Go" in Swedish/Spanish (per word) so the name was dropped.  We
are now calling Perl "Eiffel" which as far as anyone can tell, doesn't
mean anything at all.

I suggest you share your newfound knowledge with the world.

[1] This post is not Y2K comliant.

--
Mike Gebis  [email protected]  [email protected]