A government scam?

The following rather humorous clip of text is taken from the IRS web
server; I think it qualifies as a government-sponsored scam.  ;-)

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/tax_edu/faq/faq5.html

=====
I'm concerned about the public debt. Can I make a payment to reduce it?

Yes. If you wish to do so, enclose a separate check with your income tax
return. Make it payable to "Bureau of the Public Debt." You can also send
the check separately to: Bureau of the Public Debt, Department G,
Washington, DC 20239-0601. You may be able to deduct this contribution on
your next tax return if you itemize your deductions. Do not add your
contribution to any tax you may owe.  If you owe tax, make a separate check
for that amount payable to "Internal Revenue Service."
=====

--
Eric Bennett, Department of Biochemistry, Cornell University
http://www.pobox.com/~ericb (Follow "About Me" link for my PGP key.)