Terminals

------- start of forwarded message -------
Newsgroups: alt.sysadmin.recovery
From: [email protected] (Paul Tomblin)
Subject: Re: Exceprt from a phone screen
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 16:21:13 GMT

In a previous article, "Chris King" <[email protected]> said:
>I was the only one of the three that knew that there were differences between
>PC's and dumb terminals. And I was the only one of the three who hadn't used
>them on the course. [4]

Yeah, but have you ever had the Helpless Desk droid ask you what terminal
emulator you were running on your vt220?  I have.

"I don't need a terminal EMULATOR.  It's a bleeding terminal."
"I'm sorry, but you can't connect to our system unless you're running some
sort of terminal emulator."
"It doesn't have to emulate a terminal, it is one."
"So what is it, Procomm, Telix?"
"No, it's a vt220 TERMINAL.  Made by DEC.  Connected to a modem.  I type AT
DTxxx-xxxx and I get connected normally.  Today your system doesn't answer the
phone.  I want to know if your modem bank is down."
"Sorry, I can't answer your question unless I get some information on your
system."
"ARRGGGGHHH!!!"

--
Paul Tomblin ([email protected])  I don't buy from spammers.
"Tower zero one request clearance for takeoff."