From: Steven Plite <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: New name?
To: [email protected]

I believe it was Stuart Henderson who once wrote:

> David Greenman wrote:
> >
> >    ...it would still violate the trademark. A product name like
> > FreeBSD/Pro is definately not a problem, and is even (extremely)
> > likely, in fact. :-)
>
> I was just about to suggest that before I read your message :)

Why do I keep feeling deja vu all over again?

(From "Alice in UNIX Land" by Lincoln Spector, Texas Computer Currents,
September 1989, [a copy is at http://r62h121.res.gatech.edu/alcunix.html])

: "Well," responded the Sun Bear, "we've got to do something to make them
: want to switch to UNIX."
:
: "Do you think," said a Woodpecker who had been busy making a hole in the
: table, "that there might be a problem with the name `UNIX?' I mean, it
: does sort of suggest being less than a man."
:
: "Maybe we should try another name, " suggested the Job Sparrow, like Brut,
: or Rambo."
:
: "Penix," suggested a Penguin.

I've considered bringing "Alice" up to date but it would only amount to a
global search & replace.  Nearly a decade later, and the song remains the
same.

Anyway, if we're trying to position FreeBSD as a server OS, how about
"Servix"?  No need to even bother with a trademark search on that one...

----- End forwarded message -----
provided.  Archives and instructions for subscribing or unsubscribing
are available from http://mph124.rh.psu.edu/~mph/humor .