Re: Survival Of perl (fwd)

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Survival Of perl
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:11:10 -0600
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc

In article <[email protected]>,
  [email protected] (Tom Christiansen) wrote:

> The vast majority [of] Perl users need threads the way a five-year-old
> needs an Uzi.  Maybe even not that much.

You're right.

An UZI is a 9mm sub-machine gun, so it's subject to the limitations of all
low-velocity, high-mass pistol ammunition fored from a short barrel - most
noteably, a relatively short range, and inacurracy.

A five-year-old can't run very fast, and so needs a greater stand-off
distance to deal with large numbers of attackers and/or the reload time
associated with automatic weapons with a high rate of fire (and thus an
implied high rate of ammo consumption)

However, due to the average five-year-old's strength and mass, a heavy,
high-recoil weapon like an AK-47 or FN-FAL shooting 7.62mm probably isn't
suitable either.

The best tradeoff between weapon weight, range, accuracy, recoil, and
rate of fire would tend to indicate a weapon firing the NATO 5.56mm - I
suggest the Canadian C7, an M16 derivitive that lacks the "we can't
count" 3-shot burst mode of the latest American M16 and so can do
sustained automatic fire. (useful in those sticky temper tantrum
situations)

Just trying to help,

DG

[ Who's post should be taken as seriously as any other post that calls
the "survival" of Perl into question - and who wants threads, 'cause
they're K00l ]