Re: conversion at the point of a wordprocessor (fwd)

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: [email protected] (Jonathan Feinberg)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: conversion at the point of a wordprocessor

[email protected] said...
>  This was about three years ago and the story found its way onto the
> "Today" programme[1] IIRC. It could well have been works. I remember
> the M$ spokesthing saying that you could turn the feature off if you
> didn't like it (though presumably you still had to pay for it).

And then there's the problem of bigoted spell-checkers...

One time when I was a freshman in college, and Macs were a glorious
novelty [it was 1985], my neighbor across the hall let loose something
between a snort and a guffaw.  He had run the built-in MS Word spell-checker
on his history paper.  The spell-checker had raised a red flag over the
exotic and little-used word, "Chinese."

Its suggestion?

"Chink."
--
Jonathan Feinberg    [email protected]    Sunny Brooklyn, NY
------- end of forwarded message -------