[alt.sysadmin.recovery] Re: Top ten reasons why being a sysadmin is better than being a surgeon

From: [email protected] (Peter Gutmann)
Newsgroups: alt.sysadmin.recovery
Subject: Re: Top ten reasons why being a sysadmin is better than being a surgeon
Date: 30 Aug 1997 17:39:58 GMT

Pete Bentley ([email protected]) writes:
>Folklore has it that a few years ago Sun was considering introducing
>compulsory drug tests and did an informal survey which showed
>that the people responsible for some of their best[0] products
>were regular LSD users, so they quietly shelved the testing idea[1].

An unnamed software company who were about to sign a contract to supply the US
government were told that before they did this, they had to institute a
corporate drug policy (this is apparently some condition for getting federal
contracts).

After some thought they produced the following policy:

  "If you bring drugs to work, you have to bring enough for everyone".

With their corporate drug policy in place, they went ahead and filled the
contract[2].

Peter.

[0] NMF.
[1] NMFE.
[2] Told to me by an unnamed person at an unnamed conference.
provided.  Archives and instructions for subscribing or unsubscribing
are available from http://mph124.rh.psu.edu/~hunt/humor .