[[email protected]: Quote of the day]

----- Forwarded message from Quote of the day <[email protected]> -----

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:40:02 -0700
From: [email protected] (Quote of the day)
Subject: Quote of the day

"Anyone rising to the task of performing a comparative analysis of
 February [1999]'s Canadian and American editions of Hustler magazine will
 undoubtedly reach the same inescapable conclusion:  Larry Flynt's skin
 guide to modern anatomy and coital execution has been pulling the wool
 over our eyes.  Okay, some of our eyes....

"Simply, the Canuck version of Mr. Flynt's paean to freedom of speech
 has been studiously offering lies as bona fide Canadian fare.  Witness
 the letters page in the two February issues.  "I salute Hustler for
 saying no to faggotry!" S.M. from Lincoln, Neb. writes in the American
 edition.  Cross the border and we suddenly have S.M. from Tichfield,
 Sask., offering exactly the same praise:  "I salute Hustler for
 saying no to faggotry!"  Coincidence?  Hardly.  Of the 24 Canadian
 letters, 21 are actually imposters from the U.S. edition, reprinted
 verbatim in their glorious entirety.

"Then there's the amateur photo gallery, featuring people who look very
 much like the next-door neighbour who leaves her drapes open.  In the
 American edition, just one of the 17 women who "flash for cash" is
 identified as living in Canada....

"In the Canadian edition, the same women are again featured, but the
 poor reader is now led to believe that eight of these exhibitionists
 live in Canada -- a mendacious CanCon boost of 41 per cent.  Terri
 from L.A., who has a fondness for "phallic fruits" and public sex, for
 example, is suddenly Terri from Huntington, Que., with exactly the
 same upstanding predilections....

"So, who's the mastermind behind this shadowy enterprise?  Who's
 responsible for dashing all hope that the girl of many a dream is
 alive and well and sitting on a banana in Huntington?"

 - William Shields, in Masthead magazine, which covers the Canadian
   magazine industry.  [Tichfield is an hour's drive from your editor's
   home town, but I can not attest to how they salute there. - ed.]

    Submitted by: Mike Krawchuk
                  Mar. 9, 1999

            Send quotation submissions to [email protected]
       Send list changes or requests to [email protected]

----- End forwarded message -----
--
Gregory S. Sutter                  "I think not," said Descartes...
mailto:[email protected]            and promptly disappeared.