(fwd) FS: Two Smashed 4MB SIMMs

I made the mistake of visiting the psu.* newsgroups today for the first
time in many moons.  Ugh.  Two messages enclosed here.

-- forwarded message --
From: "Raymond C. Crew" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: psu.market.computers
Subject: FS: Two Smashed 4MB SIMMs
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:52:06 -0500

I have two 4MB SIMMs  I bought a few years ago for about $200.00 each.
I smashed both of them in a Mac hating rage when my PowerMac 6100 froze
up right when I was about to win a game of  Civilization I.  I foolishly
had not saved the game for about three hours, so I was very angry.
Since I paid so much for these SIMMs, I am justified in expecting the
general public to help me recoup a goodly portion of my initial
investment.

These  SIMMs are 72 pin, 80 ns, gold leaded and nonparity.  The amount
of fracturing and broken chips on these SIMMs is so minor, that anyone
with some good luck and extensive hardware repair skills could fix them
right up in about 15-20 hours.   If these SIMMs were still in working
condition, they could be used in a variety of older Macs, early NUBUS
based PowerMacs and older Wintel boxes.  I'll entertain serious offers
around $175.00 for both chips.

If anyone is interested, I may have an old Apple II sitting in my folks
barn.  By now rats have eaten most of the wiring and the constant influx
of water into the CPU box has destroyed just about everything on the
motherboard but I bet the case is still in good condition.  The case
only had a few dents on it last time (~1992) that I looked at it.  The
numerous Dead Kennedys, Skateboarding is Not a Crime and environmentally
friendly stickers and bumper stickers I had on the case surely have
protected it from the elements.  Unfortunately my dad may have thrown it
away, I am not sure.  This computer, which was an important part of the
PC revolution, should be worth a lot to a collector of old computer
hardware.  I'll entertain offers in the neighborhood of $15,000.  If you
buy it before January 1,  I'll throw in a bunch of old 5 1/2 diskettes
as a free bonus!!!!

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
 Raymond C. Crew
 116 ASI Bldg.
 University Park, PA  16802
 (814) 863-7661

-- end of forwarded message --

>These  SIMMs are 72 pin, 80 ns, gold leaded and nonparity.  The >amount
>of fracturing and broken chips on these SIMMs is so minor, that >anyone
>with some good luck and extensive hardware repair skills could fix >them
>right up in about 15-20 hours.   If these SIMMs were still in working
>condition, they could be used in a variety of older Macs, early NUBUS
>based PowerMacs and older Wintel boxes.  I'll entertain serious >offers
>around $175.00 for both chips.
Either the person who posted this is joking or he's completely out of his
mind. New RAMs are so cheap these days, you can get 128MB of 60ns EDO RAM
for around $100.

>should be worth a lot to a collector of old computer
>hardware.
> I'll entertain offers in the neighborhood of $15,000.
What?! I must assume this is also a joke. Apple II is practically useless in
the ages of Windows 98 (well maybe not to some serious collectors)
I bought a completely completely working model(including 30 or 40 5 1/2
diskettes and joystick) for only $3.00 at yard sale.

-- end of forwarded message --

--
Gregory S. Sutter                  "I think not," said Descartes...
mailto:[email protected]            and promptly disappeared.