Those speeeedy floppy drives

I wanted to move a 29252 byte file from my Mac over to the IIgs this
evening, and the first low-density disk I found happened to be
ProDOS-formatted.  Knowing that PC Exchange allows the Mac to use those
disks, I stuck in in the Mac disk drive and started copying the file.  The
slow access usually associated with using non-Mac-formatted floppies became
especially tedious when the Finder decided to write a 150k Desktop file to
the floppy, prompting the following in the file copy dialog box:

Time remaining: About 1,193,047 hours.

That works out to a data transfer rate of about 5 hours per bit.
Fortunately it did not take that long.

--
Eric Bennett, [email protected], Cornell University Biochemistry Department
http://www.pobox.com/~ericb (Follow "About Me" link for PGP public key.)

The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the
fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into
it in the first place. -Douglas Adams

provided.  Archives and instructions for subscribing or unsubscribing
are available from http://mph124.rh.psu.edu/~mph/humor .