[rec.arts.sf.written,alt.usage.english,humanities.classics] Re: two words of Latin

More fun from aue: The dangers of guessing foreign terms.

From: [email protected] (Mark Israel)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.usage.english,humanities.classics
Subject: Re: two words of Latin
Date: 21 Oct 1997 14:33:41 GMT

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Anton Sherwood) writes:

> Now, I know it's too much to ask that a random novelist should have
> studied Latin.  But is it too much to ask that author OR editor should
> have, at some point, found someone (there must be a few left in the
> world) who did have a semester of Latin, to check the translation??

   Well, at least they didn't do as badly as Dr. Ash!

   For those who don't know the story:  An anonymous correspondent
suggested to Samuel Johnson that the English word "curmudgeon"
came from the French _coeur mechant_="wicked heart".  Dr. Johnson
accordingly wrote in his dictionary:  "from French _coeur mechant_,
an unknown correspondent."  A few years later, Dr. Ash brought out
a dictionary in which "curmudgeon" was boldly derived "from the French
_coeur_, unknown, and _mechant_, a correspondent."

--
[email protected]			Mark Israel